Saturday, April 17, 2010

I want to know more about who you've become since we last saw each other! (or get to know you now that we're FB friends)

Tell me one (or two) things that have happened in your life since we last saw each other! I'll start first, then if you feel like it, copy & paste & replace my story with your own. Tag as many (or as little) friends as you'd like, but especially tag me! And, let us (at least me) know about what's been going on in your life. Please feel free to get as personal as you feel comfortable with (or not).

One of the most interesting things that has happened in my life during the past decade or two...

...There have been Two major events in my life since graduating High School (actually more than that, but I will only share 2 for now).
First, in 1989 (a year after I graduated), I was in a very bad car accident. I was driving my parent's Toyota down 202 in PA, on my way to the gym. It was raining out very, very bad and I hit a puddle, hydroplaned, crossed the median, & got hit by 2 cars going the other direction. The paramedics thought I was dead at first, but luckily a doctor from Brandywine Hospital, was traveling a few cars behind me and stopped to help. He new who I was because he had worked with my father. He also figured out that I was alive, only unconscious. I was taken to Brandywine Hospital. I was in a coma, had a broken collar bone, broken pelvis, and a right brain head injury. I spent about 3 weeks in the coma and began to show signs that I was "coming to". So, I was sent to Bryn Mawr Rehab Hospital where I spent the next few months re-learning everything. I had to re-learn how to walk, write, speak, etc... I had no short term memory, so for a month or so, I did not know who I was or who the people around me where (except Mom & Dad). And, I had no memory day to day. It was like I was a baby and I had to grow up all over again. My mother knew I was going to be alright when she came to see me the day after she shaved my legs for the first time in months... I asked her to shave them again (I shaved them everyday before the accident). To make a long story a little shorter, living through this changed my life! It was like I was born again. I believe God has plans for me and I changed a lot of things about myself.
...The other event, I gave birth to a little boy on July 2nd, 1993. I decided to give him up for adoption because I was not able (at the time) to fully support him and give him what he would need. It was the HARDEST thing I have ever done in my whole life. But, it was for the best, for him and for me. It was an open adoption for the first five years. Since then it has been "closed". I have not seen him or pictures of him in over ten years (until I found his adoptive parents here on FB! I have not contacted them, but have been able to see pictures of him now. He is so handsome and he looks like he's had a good life (so far)! I do hope to meet him again one day.


(Posted on FB Wednesday, February 11, 2009 at 3:26pm)


◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊ ◊
FB Comments

Michelle R.-L: wow Jill, you have an amazing story. it was really great catching up tonight. facebook has been great for catching up with people

Peggy K.-C.: My goodness, Jill! I did know about your accident...and that it was a bad one...but not THAT bad. You are really lucky to be alive. Glad that you are!
Have you seen that show Life on Mars (BBC or American version)? You should definitely check it out.


Alison T.-W.: Wow Jill! You are right that God has a plan for you. So glad that you are doing well now and get to shave your legs by yourself again!! Good luck on meeting your son again some day soon!!

JillyBean ˚͜˚ ByrneMurphy: Thank you Alison!
And, Peggy: I watched Life on Mars last night, I didn't quite understand it... guess I might need to watch a couple more episodes! Wonder if I can see previous episodes on fancast or hulu?

No comments:

Post a Comment